Friday, December 08, 2006

The family that gets sick together stays together...

We just had a lovely couple of weeks with e ach of us getting sick in turn. First Roanen got a fever and starting puking and continued doing so for 48 hours. He refused to eat anything and just wanted to cuddle for 2 days straight. This is something I've never had to deal with since Josey has always been such a healthy kid. Then again, I should have expected it with Roanen being our "defective child" as the doctor likes to call him. As soon as he got better Russ started feeling ill and had to stay home from work. Then Josey got a fever and was crying and complaining that something was in his throat and it was hurting him. We couldn't see anything, but he made himself cough so much that he ended up throwing up a little. He also talked loudly in his sleep for 3 nights and during his naps and Russ ended up having to sleep with him. I walked on eggshells for an entire week figuring it was inevitable that I would catch something since I had been puked on 6 times, changed and wiped seemingly endless diarrhea covered bums, and slept in the same bed as Russ, but I never got a stomach bug. On Monday, however, my bones and joints really started to ache and my throat got sore. I figure I ended up with strep throat and am only getting over it now, 4 days later. I'm actually glad that I got this, rather than being stuffed up or having stomach problems because this was a lot easier to deal with.
On the behaviour side, Roanen was an absolute pain in the butt after he started feeling better and screamed bloody murder every time I put him down. Not only that, but he wouldn't just sit on my lap, he wanted to be walked around (and even then he still cried sometimes). Fortunately after his worst weekend ever, on Monday morning he played on his own and with Josey for a couple of hours without whining or needing to be held. I think it was a reward for not killing him when he was being such a brat. This week he's been pretty good, although I'm getting really sick of him taking forever to nurse to sleep, then having short naps and waking up at least 3 or 4 times a night. He's also been trying to wake up REALLY early (yesterday he didn't go back to sleep after 4:15 AM) and fooling around in our bed until Russ gets up with him, cursing him the whole time. I'm working up the nerve to begin using the Baby Whisperer methods again, which involve putting him in his bed at naptime and bedtime, and laying him down every time he stands up until he finally falls asleep. This is also supposed to be done if (ok, who am I kidding here - it's not an if, it's a when) he wakes in the middle of the night as well. This is sure to cause hours of violent screaming for at least a week, which I really don't want to deal with. Of course, I don't want to deal with night wakings, or repeatedly unlatching him just to have him freak at me when I put him down either, and I don't think he'll grow out of night wakings as easily as Josey did. We'll see how it goes...

No comments: