Monday, July 16, 2007

1 Down, 13 To Go

Josey had his first swimming lesson this morning at the beach. He was really excited to go, and pretty keen on getting into the water right away. The problem? Since it's been getting so cold at night, the water was absolutely freezing and after swimming out to the raft and back he WAS COLD. And he DIDN'T WANT TO GO BACK INTO THE WATER to blow bubbles. Besides, it was DIRTY water. Who said? HE DID. After stalling by taking a pee break (in the most disgusting bathroom I have seen in a while), he eventually did get back into the water without the dripping life jacket that was keeping him from warming up. Still refused to put his face in the water though, which made me crazy because he does it all the time everywhere else and can blow bubbles out of his mouth and nose like a pro. I was trying to encourage him to stay in while not ordering him to do so because unlike our skating lesson fiasco, I don't think there are refunds if he refuses to do it anymore. He was really quiet at the end, and mentioned a couple of times afterwards that "swimming lessons aren't very fun", which is usually the precursor to "No, I don't want to go back" and lots of heartbreaking tears. Good thing there are only 13 lessons left...
I'm taking bets on which one of us cries first tomorrow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Josey. Maybe the water will warm up as the week goes on? Lets hope :)

Some kind of Mom said...

I've never heard of swimming lessons out at the beach. That's kind of fun! What do they do if it rains or if it's really cold? Do they reschedule?

Anonymous said...

This is the country. They don't have indoor pools around here so they do lessons at a nearby lake :) I'm not sure what they do if the weather's bad, but I'm sure I'll find out considering the forecast for the next couple of weeks...