Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Big Week for the Boys

So we're finally all moved in to the new house, and surprisingly enough the boys are adapting really well. They both seem to love the house, and even take off and play on their own for good chunks of time. It could be the novelty of the stairs, or else it's the fact that Roanen can't see me from everywhere in the house like he could at the old house, and out of sight is out of mind. Russ was able to take the week off work so things are getting unpacked and organized at record speed and we're able to give the kids more attention than they would be getting if it was only me at home trying to sort through the disaster.
Josey has stayed dry most days, although we really have to remind him and practically force him to pee when we think it's been long enough since the last time. On Sunday and Monday he did have a couple of not-so-accidental accidents, and since we were at the end of our rope, we cut two holes in a plastic garbage bag, put his legs through them, and tied them around his waist. He was not impressed with having to sit in his wet pants for a couple of hours. Sounds really cruel, but we figured he wasn't really suffering the consequences of peeing his pants when we immediately cleaned him off and put him in dry pants.
As for Roanen's sleeping, the first two nights we stayed here he slept in Josey's bed for part of the night (while Josey was at Grammie and Grampa's), but he didn't sleep much better than usual. The third night we put him in the playpen and his first sleep stretch was 5 1/2 hours! We were planning on setting up the toddler bed for him, but we can't seem to find any of the hardware to put it together. Now we're just going to get him a single bed and a gate so we can attempt to wean him at night. Since we've moved in I've been trying to get him to fall asleep without nursing, which entails lying down with him and either rubbing his back or pretending to sleep. It has actually worked several times, particularly during the day, but it's impossible for me to try to fit into the crib or playpen, which is the reason for the single bed, as early as it seems. So he hasn't nursed at all during the day for 3 days now (except for a quick one yesterday because my boob was about to explode) and once we get the single bed I'm going to try to night wean him, which should make for some loud, upsetting nights. He has also been going to bed at almost 9 PM every night, but sleeping in until after 7 AM. I think it's because he doesn't have a specific nap time during the day and it messes him up for bedtime when he passes out on somebody at 5 PM. Today I tried putting him down for his nap at 11:30 on Josey's bed and he ended up sleeping over 2 hours. Maybe he's ready to cut down to one nap a day, and then he'll start sleeping through the night! Like that will happen.

No comments: